The advertisement was created by Grey London, themed the ‘Space Chair’. This advertisement was in conjunction to promote Toshiba’s REGZA SV LCD TV Series and 2010 for the new range of Satellite T Series of ultra low voltage laptops.
The advertisement was filmed using Toshiba cameras, picturing the wilderness of Nevada Black Rock desert, by filming the journey of an ordinary living room chair to the extraordinary heights out to the space using a simple helium balloon, where the chair is lifted to an altitude of 98,268 feet.
Four independent GPS systems were placed on the rig to accurately record its height at any second to within 4 meters in altitude, and within 30cm in longitude and latitude position. This information was transmitted every 15 seconds back to ground control where it was monitored via a computer satellite system to enable the team to locate the rig once it had fallen back to earth. The film is cinematic, opening with a shot of the solitary chair silhouetted against the Nevada sunrise and taking the viewer on its journey above the desert, into the clouds and beyond.
Facts about the shoot:
- The shots were taken at a staggering 98,268 feet above the earth using Toshiba’s own cameras
- To reach the altitude required and to conform with Federal Aviation Administration regulations, the weight of the rig had to be carefully managed to a weight of no more than four pounds
- Tied to the rig was a specially created full-sized model chair made of biodegradable balsa wood – the chair was made by a company called Artem and cost about Â£2,500
- Launch coordinates of the rig were – 119 degrees, 14 minutes by 40 degrees, 48 minute (12 miles North-East of the town of Gerlach, Nevada)
- The quality of the footage from the Toshiba IK-HR1S cameras was: 1920×1080 pixel count; 1080i @ 50hz; 100 Mbps
- The temperature dropped to minus 90 degrees when the chair reached 52,037 feet
- The chair took 83 minutes to reach an altitude of 98,268 feet where it broke and took just 24 minutes to fall back down to earth with the rig.
Creative Agency: Grey London
Production Company: Hungry Man LTD
Director: Andy Amadeo
Editor and editing company: The Whitehouse / Russell Ike
Post-production company: The Mill